in San Diego California 1942 to 1944
In 1940 San Diego was identified as an important strategic location due to the expanding war related industries and numerous military installations. With the growing hostilities in the pacific before the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941, the War Department realized that the number of Naval, Marine Corps forces located in San Diego/Los Angeles region were inadequate to repel any anticipated invasion on the southern west coast. The War Department also deduced enemy force could land an invasion force in the natural country of Mexico. This would allow the invasion force to use the flat terrain along the Baja boarder and cross into the United States. In the Campo CA vicinity they could cut off the main supply route of highways 80 and 94 along with the San Diego-Arizona Eastern Railroad line. This could also be used as a starting point to launch further attacks on US soil.
December 1941 in Campo CA. Camp Lockett was completed by the 11th Cavalry. June 1942 the 10th Cavalry Regiment was transferred to occupy Camp Lockett and assume the duties to protect the America Mexico board. They patrolled on horseback from Calexico, CA. in the Imperial Valley to Otay Lakes in Chula Vista, CA. 1944 the United States Army put an end to a long distinguished era in America History: the horse soldier units dismounted for the last time as modern machines took over. Camp Lockett was the last US Cavalry post built and the last mounted Buffalo Soldiers Regiment was used to defend our nation from its enemies.